Cover Photo

Cover Photo
Sometimes, there isn't a path

Friday, February 6, 2015

Reading This Makes Ewe Smart

Smart sheep make good stuff - SmartWool gear review I

I attended the Medved Winter Open House in December, where the theme of the day was "WE DON’T HIBERNATE!!”  There, the SmartWool tech rep  Brandon Lee talked about the heritage and technology that SmartWool is putting into their product lines.  Specifically, the PhD lineup.  This line is designed to keep you comfortable from head to heel in all kinds of conditions.  Brandon kept coming back to ’98.6’…meaning the pieces are all meant to keep your body temperature regulated and dry.  The wicking properties of wool are pretty amazing, too…I've come back with fuzzy ice on the outside of my shirt, but I’m comfortable on the inside.  Go Far.  Feel Good.
Don't be this guy


Last month, I published “My Favorite Things – Winter 2015 Edition”, where I picked three pieces of gear that I couldn't live without this season.  In addition, I've have worn at least one piece of SmartWool every single day for the past month. Why?  I am in love with this company.  From their socks to their sheep to their ethics.    So, here are three products I have put to the test.
  1. The PhD Run Wind Tight (~$140)  To reiterate my love for these pants (they are one of my 3 favorite things this winter)…these tights incorporate windproof panels in the front to keep your muscles toasty.  The fabrics used are a blend of merino wool and synthetic fibers – taking advantage of the best of both worlds.    Read a little more here.  The details include reflective zippers at the ankle, as well as several other accents to keep you visible.  And the back pocket can hold my iPhone4 and my car key securely.  These tights are worth their price tag.  They really are.  I've worn them for at least 20 outside workouts, and I can’t complain about anything.
    Hill Repeats (AKA sledding)
  2. The PhD NTS Light 195 Wind Zip Shirt (~$120)  SmartWool’s baselayer collection is classified by the weight of the fabric per square meter.  The 195 g/m2 is considered their ‘lightweight’ fabric.  It’s soft, stretchy, and conformable.  Then, add the cute patterned wind panel in the front and you've got a really versatile piece.  I've worn it as a base layer under a windproof jacket for colder days (we've had a lot of them!), and alone on days 25 deg+.  The zipper is large enough to make a difference, so you can cool down when things heat up. 
    This is NOT me.  I just couldn't find anyone
    to take my picture at 5am this morning!!!
  3. 3)      The PhD HyFi Training Headband (~$30)  Unless it’s REALLY cold, I tend to prefer headbands over hats.  My other headbands are all fleece…and while warm, don’t stay in place very well, and tend to get sweaty.  Also, my ponytail can go wherever it wants!  So, this piece has gotten a lot of play.  It’s snug but doesn't make my eyes pop out, and keeps my ears warm.  Also, it prevents that stupid mark I’d otherwise get from my head lamp on morning runs.  Vanity. 
    sporting the HyFi at Frozen Assets (Photo:  Ron Heerkens, Jr)


These three pieces all get an A rating from me.  And while the SmartWool pieces may cost more, I think they earn their keep in my collection.  



Adventure Awaits...Get Lost!


1 comment:

  1. My question is this...does Smart Wool make jammies? You know, for night sweats?

    ReplyDelete