Cover Photo

Cover Photo
Sometimes, there isn't a path

Friday, February 6, 2015

Happy Turtle


Midway through last year, I declared (to ALL 4 people that were listening) that 2015 was to be The Year of the Trails.   I wanted a change.  Was I burnt from triathlon?  No, not really.  It's not like was training at top intensity all the time.  I was doing fine, racing pretty well.  I completed my second iron distance tri.  But I did desire something new.  I wasn't quite a Phil, but I wanted to be more Phoenix.

Trail butts at Lucien Morin
Metta and Nellie in the ADKs
As soon as Ironman Coeur d'Alene was complete, I took off my watch and switched my shoes.  I re-discovered the abundance of local parks on foot and on bike.  I took off the watch at first, and just ran. Through meadows and puddles, over hills and bridges.  Sometimes with friends, sometimes with just my dogs. Headlamps, traction, whatever.   



Getting off the road has made running feel new again.  I had lost motivation to get out and run. It had begun to feel like a chore.  And now, I take every chance to get out for a run on the trails.  I feel like a kid, playing in the woods.  Splashing across a creek.  Getting a little bit lost.   Made now Angels.  Had great conversations, deep and funny.  I have met more good people to call my friends.  Taken trips just to see new trails.  Explored places I wouldn't have gone.
Sunrise on the Crescent Trail
Not everything is perfect.  I'm slower than I used to be.  I know, you can't compare trail times to road paces.  But even compared to the trail runs I did a year ago, I'm much slower.  I'm afraid to get on the road with my speedy friends.  I still hurt myself...rolled ankles, sore muscles, strained hip flexors. Running takes a little more planning...sometimes a map, and I can't just walk out my door.  I fall down.  I definitely fall down.  
 
happy like this guy
But it's worth it.  

My Garmin tells me my pace is slower.
My head tells me I'm running for different reasons.
My full heart tells me I'm happy.

A happy turtle.

A happy trail turtle.

Irondequoit Bay
This year, I built a plan for my racing that started out with a 5K snowshoe and finishes up with a 50 mile trail run.  Everything on my calendar has dirt in it. Even for Seneca7, my team let me have the leg that goes off-road.  A dirty girl? That's right.  

Want to hit the trails?  There are many great options. #TrailsROC has weekly group runs and GREAT races all year. Medved hosts group trail runs in the spring, as well as an offroad race.  Goose Adventure Racing has an exciting race calendar.  Fleet Feet hosts many trail races and runs throught the year.  Finger Lakes Runners Club has a robust calendar, as well!  Come play in the dirt.  Be a happy trail turtle.
No need to go around the puddle.  

How long has this been here?




No comments:

Post a Comment