Cover Photo

Cover Photo
Sometimes, there isn't a path

Sunday, January 11, 2015

It's cold? You don't say... (week in pictures)

This week in Rochester, Winter (with a capital W) kicked in.  Snow, bitter cold temperatures, wind chills below zero.  You know what?  Bring it!!  A lot of the people in my circles don't hibernate.  They put a bunch of clothes on and go outside.  This is what this week looked like for my friends...

Bob sports his ice beard...

#TrailsROC on the canal training for Beast of Burden










Medved Hot Chocolate Runners
Winter Warriors braving the cold (and then dark) half marathon conditions






















My own winter adventures started Saturday, Jan 3rd, with a trip to Harriet Hollister Spencer Park for Frozen Assets 'snowshoe' race.  While there wasn't enough snow for the snowshoes, we all strapped on our spikes and ran in the woods.  It's a great course, winding through a gem of a state park.  Great views of Honeoye Lake partway through, too.  


Then, my family suited up for some runs at Bristol Mountain.  Jackson and Emmett have been skiing for the past two seasons, and we'll head to Vail later this year.  Need our ski legs!!
Bristol Mountain

Sunday dawned (well, it was before dawn), and I had somehow convinced a handful of people to explore the Crescent Trail.  Ostensibly, it was to celebrate a moment of weightlessness and sunrise starting one minute earlier...The trail wasn't sporting much snow, but it still felt like winter out there.  Here is the crew, enjoying 'zero gravity' on the top of Chair Hill on the trail.  
floating!

I took a few days to recover, and do some indoor swimming and biking.  Because gravity was still in effect.

No track work for my Wednesday #runninginovals crew, which is the normal routine.  So I took to the trails of Ellison and enjoyed the fresh snow and moonlight.  I didn't even need my head lamp. Which is good.  Because the batteries died.  The girls and I (Nellie and Metta) even got to bump into two friends out there, as well.  
frosty paws

Next up was Wednesday's Hot Chocolate run at Medved.  There were some warriors that came out to brave the snow.  Good stuff. Snot icicles and all.  
Ninja Bank Robber Runners
everything is frozen!


Friday was a trail run with my friend Athena at Tryon in the morning.  So cold, though, that Athena's phone couldn't even take pictures.  But the conditions were great!  Downhill skiing in the evening, which is where the photo of snow-beard-Bob comes from.
 
Saturday brought a run with the Medved winter training group on the canal (with a great sunrise) and a trip to Harriet Hollister Spencer park to enjoy some XC skiing, running, and sunset watching...
sunrise on the canal


The sunrise was astounding...as you likely know, I am in love with sunrise.  The world gets a 'redo' every.single.day.





I'm really not so good at XC skiing, but it's fun, and such hard work.
*must* selfie
first time on these in a year

ten feet tall

And it's time to 'chill' now

So.  The thing is.  You just have to get out there.  And I'm glad that some of my friends and my family are just as happy to have winter here with us again.   My tribe doesn't hibernate.  And neither do I.  

No comments:

Post a Comment